Jack Smurthwaite (b. 1991, London) is a curator, writer and cultural project manager based in London. He attempts to broaden and communicate culture through his projects and research. Jack currently has an independent practice as a curator of contemporary. Previously, he has worked with in the visitor programmes team at RBG Kew to commission new performance and experiences and at the ICA, London to organise screenings, events, and commission new work by Leah Capaldi as well as implementing exhibition, event and youth programmes for a number of museums.
Jack is a regular contributor to Art Monthly. His writing has also been published by Frieze, Artsy.net, thisistomorrow, and Sluice magazine, which he has previously guest-edited.
As a researcher, he has presented papers internationally at VU Amsterdam and London College of Fashion and the Association for Art History’s 2019 annual conference.
Please get in contact: email@example.com
- To cite a bodySluice HQ, Hackney. 12/01/2019 – 02/02/2019 Bob Bicknell-Knight | Yoshi Kametani | Keiken and George Jasper Stone| Mark Aerial Waller | Vivien Zhang
- Out of Space.AVD Gallery, 01/11/2018 – 30/11/2018 Ololade Adeniyi | Juan Covelli | Ed Florance
- From space, the planet is blue. From space, the planet is the territory.Sluice Project Space, Hackney, 10/02/2018 – 18/02/2018 Caline Aoun | Dmitiri Galitzine | Tamara Kametani
- At the western edge, with AtlasExhibition text for Aimée Parrott: Gaia’s Kidney, Broadway Gallery, 17 October – 29 November 2020
- Survival Strategies: Mycorrhiza and ExtancyGuest-edited issue of Sluice Magazine Autumn 2019
- Art and Postcapitalism: Aesthetic Labour, Automation and Value Production by Dave Beech [for Art Monthly]Book review in Art Monthly 430
Illustration and gif courtesy of Bo Matteini