Jack Smurthwaite (b. 1991, London) is a curator, writer and cultural project manager based in London. He attempts to broaden and communicate culture through his projects and research. Jack currently has an independent practice as a curator of contemporary. Previously, he has worked with in the visitor programmes team at RBG Kew to commission new performance and experiences and at the ICA, London to organise screenings, events, and commission new work by Leah Capaldi as well as implementing exhibition, event and youth programmes for a number of museums.
Jack is a regular contributor to Art Monthly. His writing has also been published by Frieze, Artsy.net, thisistomorrow, and Sluice magazine, which he has previously guest-edited.
As a researcher, he has presented papers internationally at VU Amsterdam and London College of Fashion and the Association for Art History’s 2019 annual conference.
Please get in contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sluice HQ, Hackney. 12/01/2019 – 02/02/2019
Bob Bicknell-Knight | Yoshi Kametani | Keiken and George Jasper Stone| Mark Aerial Waller | Vivien Zhang
AVD Gallery, 01/11/2018 – 30/11/2018
Ololade Adeniyi | Juan Covelli | Ed Florance
Sluice Project Space, Hackney, 10/02/2018 – 18/02/2018
Caline Aoun | Dmitiri Galitzine | Tamara Kametani
- At the western edge, with Atlas
- Survival Strategies: Mycorrhiza and Extancy
- Art and Postcapitalism: Aesthetic Labour, Automation and Value Production by Dave Beech [for Art Monthly]
- Benedict Drew: Trapped in a sticky shed with side chain compression, iMT Gallery [for Frieze]
- WLTHF Meretseger or similar snake headed woman
- Patricia L Boyd: Inter-, Reading International [for Art Monthly]
All illustrations and gifs courtesy of Bo Matteini.